Our Avian Hospital is Here for All
We are the ONLY organization in Southwest Florida that does what we do:
Save Our Seabirds receives over 4,000 distress calls each year from caring citizens throughout the Sarasota-Manatee area. Our initial response is to ascertain what might be wrong with the bird and whether it is feasible to actually catch the bird and bring it to our hospital. We then dispatch the nearest available rescuer from our list of volunteers to transport the bird to our hospital for treatment. We do everything we can to rehabilitate and release the bird back into the wild, preferably near the place where it was rescued.
- We respond to over 4,000 bird rescue calls per year.
- We host over 25,000 paid visitors in our Wild Bird Learning Center each year.
- We offer four fully-accredited field trips that are age-appropriate for students in grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
- We provide summer camps all season long.
- We offer a rigorous internship program that hosts college interns throughout the year.
Birds that are unable to be released back into the wild are given permanent homes in our Wild Bird Learning Center, which is open to the public every day from 10 to 5.
The most common injuries are caused by fish hooks, automobiles and golf balls.